Organisation: Department of Agricultural Research & Education
The Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE) was established in the Ministry of Agriculture in December, 1973. Subjects have been allotted to the DARE as per the Government of India (Allocation of Business )Rules. The Indian Council of Agricultural Research, a society registered under the Societies’ Registration Act, 1860 is an organisation under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education. The Secretary to the Government of India in the DARE is also the Director-General of the ICAR. Further, the Financial Adviser of DARE is the Financial Adviser of ICAR also. The Department also has an autonomous body viz. Central Agricultural University, Imphal under it.
The major functions of DARE are :
- To look after all aspects of the agricultural research and Education(including horticulture, natural resources management, agriculture engineering, agricultural extension, animal science, economic statics and marketing and fisheries) involving coordination between the central and state agencies.
- To attend all matters relating to Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
- To attend all matters concerning the development of new technology in agriculture, horticulture, natural resources management, agriculture engineering, agricultural extension, animal science, economic statistics and marketing and fisheries, including such functions as plant and animal introduction and exploration and soil and land use survey and planning.
- International co-operation in the field of agricultural research and education including relations with foreign and international agricultural research and educational institutions and organisations, including participation in international conferences, associations and other bodies dealing with agricultural research and education and follow-up decisions at such international conferences etc.
- Fundamental, applied and operational research and higher education including co-ordination of such research and higher education in agriculture including agroforestry, animal husbandry, dairying, fisheries, agricultural statistics, economics and marketing.
Detailed allocation of business:
The Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules:
The following subjects which fall within List1 of the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India :
- International Co-operation and assistance in the field of Agricultural Research and Education
including relations with foreign and international agricultural research and education
institutions and organisations.
- Fundamental, applied and operational research and higher education including coordination
of such research and higher education in agriculture, agro forestry, animal husbandry,dairying and fisheries, agricultural engineering and horticulture including agricultural statistics, economics and marketing.
- Coordination and determination of standards in institutions for higher education or research
and scientific and technical institutions in so far as they relate to food and agriculture
including animal husbandry, dairying and fisheries. Development of Human Resources in
- Agricultural Research/ Extensions and Education.
- Cess for financing to the Indian Council of Agricultural Research, and Community Research programmes other than those relating to tea, coffee and rubber
For Union territories the subjects mentioned in Part 1 above so far as they exist in regard to these
territories and in addition the following subject which falls within List II of the Seventh Schedule of
the Constitution of India
- Agricultural education and research.
General and consequential:
- Plant, animal and fish introduction and exploration.
- All-India Soil and Land-Use survey relating to research, training, correlation, classification,soil mapping and interpretation.
Financial assistance to state governments and agricultural universities in respect of agricultural universities in respect of agricultural research and educational schemes and
- National Demonstrations.
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research and its constituent research Institutes, National
- Research Centers, Project Directorates, Bureaux and All India Coordinated Projects.